Time Magazine published this article in 2009
The article claims that EMS helicopters in the U.S. are not adequately equipped for medical missions and that many of the accidents could have been prevented if the following measures had been implemented:
- Mandatory requirement for a 2 pilot crew ( less cockpit workload )
- Mandatory requirement for IFR certified and IFR current pilots.
- Mandatory requirement for TCAS and GPWS ( Traffic Collision Avoidance System & Ground Proximity Warning System)
- Cockpit weather data-link ( XM Weather )
- Strict protocols restricting flying in dangerous conditions
It appears the FAA needs to urgently address this issue by issuing clear and obligatory directives.